Go For It: Achieve Your Goals in Spite of Your Challenges
You can be sure that at times life will be a twisting path of potholes around which you must navigate. You’ve likely been through phases of your life already where you wondered if your luck would ever change. Maybe things calmed down and the road became smoother but maybe it didn’t. Today’s quote of the day is “Try and Stop Me”. With that in mind, stay focused until you get the results you want, no matter where your journey leads. The key, then, to achieving the goals that are most important to you and living a fulfilled, satisfying life is to keep your eye on your prize and keep going, no matter what.
Use these tips to continue moving forward, especially when life puts obstacles in your path.
- Know exactly what you want. What do you want your life to be like? What problems make you so angry you want to take a stand? Developing clarity means identifying your passions and letting that energy feed your body, your mind, and your soul. With passion and energy you can plan your activities over the short and long term and know you will realize your vision.
- Keep your list of life goals short and to the point. Some good examples of life goals are: “Save 25% of my yearly earnings for kids’ education, vacations and retirement,” “Take budget-friendly vacations out of the country every 5 years,” and “Retire when I’m 67.”
- Infuse elements of achieving your goals into your everyday life. Let’s say one of your goals is to travel to Australia three years from now. Have a couple of books about Australia laying around the house, on your coffee table and nightstand. Listen to Australian talk radio shows via the web. Watch television shows about Aussie land.
- Set yourself up for success by making your life goals part of your everyday activities. That way, even when life gets bumpy, you’ll be able to keep your eyes on what’s really important to you. After all, it will be right there in front of you.
- Make sure you have a place to work on your goals where you are relaxed but productive. Whether it is a corner, a room, or a formal office, design your space to make progress on your goals.
- Talk positively to yourself. Although some kinds of talking to yourself might not be seen as healthy, it can be quite helpful to use positive self-talk. When you do, you’ll be more likely to keep working toward your goals in life. Using positive self-talk will keep your spirits buoyed when you feel like you’re floundering in choppy waters.
- Say something like, “I’m in a rough patch but I can still keep saving for my retirement and college funds for my kids. Other examples of positive self-talk are “I can get through this challenging phase just like I did before,” “As long as I keep moving forward, things are okay,” and “Life has in store many more wonderful adventures for me.”
- Reflect on your efforts to reinforce them. Even though you may be struggling, think about what you accomplished just this week to achieve your goals. Maybe you made a couple of phone calls, explored the internet to gather information, or drew up a new budget to ensure you’re on target for saving for your life goals.
- Recognize your achievements. The fact is you did something. And recognizing that will reinforce your efforts in your quest to achieve your goals. You can excel in times of great challenge.
Keep working toward accomplishing your goals even though life throws more than a few obstacles at you. Know what you’re after and stay focused. Make your life goals a part of your daily life and use positive self-talk. Acknowledge what you’ve done to keep moving forward.
Apply these strategies to help you consistently work to meet your life goals. If you do, you’ll accomplish whatever you want no matter what.
Are you Acting on Your Most Important Goals?
Do you efficiently plan, organize, and execute when you have a deadline but never seem to make headway on the goals that are most important to you? If you find yourself stalled when it comes to your projects, you could be trying to use strategies that don’t work for you anymore. You may not even realize how much you are stopping yourself until you first identify, then change these strategies. When you put new strategies to work, you can get moving again. That’s where I can help.
Schedule a Life Goals Discovery Session today. You will come away with clarity about what you really want; you will uncover hidden and not so hidden obstacles that are holding you back; you will map out a plan to get you started, and you will be inspired to make it really happen.