Discover Why Your Life is Stuck and Gain the Freedom to Move On
Do you feel like your life is stuck? You have goals and dreams of a more satisfying life, but they keep getting farther and farther away. Each day slides by and you become more entrenched in your rut.
Why is it that our lives rarely change, even when we’re miserable?
There are forces within our minds that conspire to keep us stuck. They are also spectacularly effective at accomplishing this. In fact, they are so good, we don’t even realize it’s happening.
These reasons may very well be the cause of your rut:
- You don’t know specifically what you want. If you think you want to move up the corporate ladder at work, but also want to start a consulting practice, you’re stuck. At some point, it’s necessary to make a clear decision and set a goal. If you can’t choose a vacation destination, you’re stuck at home.
- You don’t know your “why”. Knowing why you want this achievement is absolutely critical to maintaining your momentum. When life gets busy It is easier to not take action unless you have a compelling reason to keep going.
- You lack willpower or fail to use it effectively. Willpower is limited, but it’s great for creating new habits and behavioral patterns. Sticking with a task after the urge to quit surfaces can develop willpower. Continue for another 5 minutes. Increase the amount of time each week until you can work through the urge to give up.
- You lack the knowledge necessary to make a change. You might know that you need to be more confident, but you might also lack the knowledge of how to develop confidence. Not all skills are available at our fingertips. You might need to do a little studying before a change is possible.
Use your willpower to develop small habits that can grow into useful routines.
- You can’t deal with being uncomfortable. Anxiety, nervousness, and fear are great for preventing you from jumping off a 10-story building. But they’re worse than worthless when it comes to keeping you stuck. Some level of discomfort accompanies any change, but your emotions are misleading you. You’re not in any real danger.
- Use your logic to talk yourself through it. “Nothing bad can happen from giving a speech. In fact, there are many benefits.” Use the logical part of your brain to override your primitive instincts.
- There are many techniques to lower your levels of discomfort to more manageable levels. Meditation, prayer, and counseling are a few that can be beneficial.
- Start small and push through slight discomfort. Your ability to handle the bigger and scarier situations will grow with experience.
- You give up too quickly. Change can take time. 80% of the change you ultimately see won’t reveal itself until at least 80% of the work has been completed. Your early efforts show little results, but things are happening behind the scenes. It’s necessary to persevere to see a meaningful change in your life.
Learn to be a finisher. Start completing all the little tasks in your life. If you decide to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes, keep going until you’re done. Avoid letting yourself off the hook until an activity is 100% complete.
Making any change can be a challenge. Understanding your roadblocks to change can enhance your ability to bring about meaningful changes in your life.
Don’t leave your future to chance. Have an objective and develop habits that support that objective. Learn to lower and deal with uncomfortable emotions. You have everything within in you necessary to create a spectacular life.
Take Consistent Action
If you find yourself stuck or procrastinating about doing the things that are really important, you could be trying to employ a strategy that won’t work for you anymore. You may not even realize how much you are stopping yourself until you first identify, then change these strategies. When you put new strategies in place, you can get moving again. That’s where I can help.
Schedule a Life Goals Discovery Session today. You will come away with clarity about what you really want; you will uncover hidden and not so hidden obstacles that are holding you back; You will map out a plan to get you started, and you will be inspired to make it really happen.