9 Fast and Furious Ways to Get Out of Your Rut
We all get stuck in ruts from time to time. You know you’re in a rut when every day seems the same, and those days aren’t very enjoyable. After a while, it’s hard to know the best way to bring about the changes that can make life exciting, interesting, and enjoyable again. Ruts tend to be self-perpetuating and require a decent amount of energy to get back out.
Implement these 9 strategies to get out of your rut:
- Realize that your discomfort is a good sign. As humans, we tend to feel uncomfortable when we experience change in our lives. Accept the fact you might have some challenging feelings to navigate as you come out of your rut and get your life back on track.
- Find a passion or interest to add to your life. Now’s the perfect time to take up yoga or the guitar. If you’ve always wanted to learn how to paint or try out mountaineering, go for it!
- Your concerns and worries vanish when you’re involved with something that fascinates you.
- Make a list of the things you’ve never tried, but have always wanted to. Find one or two things that interest you the most and give them a shot.
- If you would like help finding your passion and turning it into energy that fuels your purpose, download my free ebook, Passion and Purpose.
- Schedule your new activity. Make your new hobby a priority by scheduling it into your life. It should get the high-priority status it deserves.
- Look for a new job. Work takes up a lot of our waking hours, so life is much more enjoyable when you like the field you choose. If you feel like you’re in a rut, maybe a career change is in order. There’s no reason to spend the majority of your adult life in a career that doesn’t interest and excite you.
- Get physical. Sometimes we spend so much of the day sitting and staring at a computer screen that we forget about our bodies.
- A body can’t stay healthy if it doesn’t get the chance to stretch, move around, and exert itself a bit each day.
- If you’re not active, consider adding some exercise into your day.
- Visit your Medical Professional. If multiple aspects of your life seem to be in a rut, it’s possible than an underlying health issue might be the culprit. It might be time to see the medical professional you trust the most, whether that be the doctor, naturalist, acupuncturist, or chiropractor.
- Start small. It can be overwhelming to change every aspect of your life at once. Avoid trying to change too much too quickly.
- Make a list of everything you would like to change about your life.
- Start with either the easiest or most meaningful change.
- Plan the best course of action for you at this time. You can always add in additional changes over time.
- Set a goal. If you’re lost, sometimes a goal is the best tool to refocus. Having a clear target can help you stay on track.
- A goal provides a clear, measurable, and time-based objective.
- The key is to pick a goal that will enhance your life.
- Download the checklist, 7 Habits of Outstanding Leaders to stay on track and keep moving towards your goal.
- Go someplace new. Have you ever noticed you have a different perspective when you’re in an airplane and look down? Life just seems a little different.
- Experience a new location. The different surroundings and people are bound to alter your outlook on life. You might only have to hop in your car and head for the city or mountains.
Jumpstart Your Life
Jumpstart your life today and get out of that rut. Remember you’ll have to adjust your behavior if you want your life to change. Give these tips a fair chance and you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the results. You can start small, but start today.
If you would like to discover the challenges and obstacles keeping you in your rut, schedule a Life Goals Discovery Session today.