The Productivity Miracle – Finish that Project You’ve Been Putting Off
Foolproof Strategies to Get Stubborn Projects Moving
Are you afraid to look at your to do list because of all the unfinished projects lurking there? What are you leaving undone because other things are getting in the way? On your list, where are the projects that are most important to you?
Maybe you have a burning desire to write a book, start your own business, or you need to clean out the out the garage. Maybe your big project is something you really want to do or maybe it’s an obligation you can’t wiggle out of. Either way, it’s draining your productivity. The longer you avoid it, the harder it will be to start taking action.
Imagine walking through a field of wildflowers in early summer. Everything is in bloom. Then, you notice something very odd. You look in every direction but all you see are yellow flowers. Why, you wonder? Then, at the edge of the field you notice a sign that says:
There will only be yellow flowers this year because
there are too many flowers and too many things to do.
These suggestions will help you jumpstart your important projects and at the same time, you will reclaim your confidence and peace of mind. Keep reading to get out of your mental quicksand and bring color and brilliance into your life.
How to Get a Stuck Project Moving
- Break it down.Divide a massive project into small chunks. Create intermediate deadlines and milestones where you can evaluate your progress. The process will look more manageable when you separate out each task and component.
- Start somewhere. Take a first step. You can begin with the easiest job or the top priority. Once you create some momentum, it will be easier to keep going.
- Identify your peak hours. Whenever possible, work on challenging tasks when you are at your top capacity. If you’re a morning person, that could mean putting in a couple of hours before your day job. If you prefer evenings, ensure you stop before bedtime.
- Ask for help. We can accomplish more when we collaborate with others. Exchange services with a colleague so you both can cover the areas where you shine and find support for where you need to grow.
- Minimize distractions. Make it easier to hunker down. Move away from the phone, snacks, and video games. Stay off the internet unless you need it for your work.
- Take a break. When you need to, take some strategic time off. Stop thinking about your project for a day or two so you can view it with fresh eyes. And, make sure you take breaks between tasks to let your thoughts gel.
- Assess the costs. Increase your motivation by calculating how much it’s costing you to neglect a certain activity. Are you losing money or other things you value?
- Focus on rewards. Above all, think about how good it will feel to complete your project. Give yourself a treat or just bask in the sense of accomplishment.
To get your sticky project moving again, schedule a personal consultation and discover what is really behind your procrastination.
How to Prevent a Project from Becoming Stuck
- Acknowledge your fears. It’s natural to feel apprehensive about any endeavor where you have a lot at stake. Facing your doubts will help you to deal with them. Give yourself credit for taking sensible risks instead of expecting perfection.
- Clarify the situation. Spend adequate time on the planning process so you’ll understand the scope of your project. That way you’ll be clear about where you’re headed and the resources you need.
- Be realistic. Set challenging but attainable goals. Set yourself up for success.
- Avoid burnout. If you’re feeling irritable and fatigued before you even start, you may need to step back temporarily. Take care of your health, reach out to your loved ones, and be gentle with yourself while you recharge. A delayed start can save time if you’re preparing for tomorrow.
- Check your schedule. How much is on your plate already? Be willing to scratch something else off your to do list if you need to free up time and resources for a major undertaking.
If you want to become crystal clear on that stuck project or a project you suspect will get stuck, schedule a Project Discovery Session today. During this life-changing conversation you will discover what’s behind your hesitation, and devote your time and energy to your top priorities. You’ll soon be checking that sticky project off your list and prevent it from lingering like the smell of burnt popcorn. Your discovery will get you out of mental quicksand and give you the satisfaction of getting stuff done while you create a satisfying and colorful life.